Indie Gems: Imperium

What would you do to prove yourself?

Nate Foster (Daniel Radcliffe) is a young FBI agent that's eager to prove himself. When another agent, Angela (Toni Collette) asks him to go undercover as a white supremacist to help her uncover a terrorist plot she believes they're planning, while apprehensive at first, he's eager to prove himself a capable agent.

I didn't intend on watching this movie the same week we found out who will become our next president, but it happened. It's actually scary watching this movie and seeing how normal some of these people look on the outside. Sam Trammell plays one of the leaders who has a loving family (whose younger daughter spouts some surprisingly paranoid shit to Nate at one point) and looks like a normal guy. Every time we see a swastika or a burning cross, you can't help but cringe. It's a scary and sad reality how deep racism can run.  This film builds two different kinds of worry very well. The first and more prominent is that Nate will be found out. The second, and it's more of something that's just in the back of your head is "man, what if he starts buying this?" It's very suspenseful in that way.

Radcliffe is great in a role that's very different from what we've seen him tackle post: Harry Potter. I was a big fan of Trammell in True Blood, it's hard to watch him play a character like this, but he was good as well. There were a few loose ends I wish the film tied up, but overall it was a very interesting peak at the ugliest part of America. The film was inspired by a former FBI agent who helped write the script.

Grade: B

Watched on: Netflix DVD

Memorable Quote: "I thought we had a case." - Angela (Toni Collette) 

Comments

  1. I saw this film on IMDb about a week ago and added to my watchlist. It seems like it's worth checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually got this on itunes so planning to watch it before the rental expire.

    I coincidentally watched Elvis & Nixon on the same week Trump (which is the same word as an English slang for fart) was elected into office...Nixon the only US President to resign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't heard of this one, before now, but I definitely want to see it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard a little about this one earlier in the year. Sounds like a solid role for Radcliffe. Not sure I can stomach this sort of subject matter at this time, but I'll put it down on my watch list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what... I'm quite certain Radcliffe, for me, has already left his Potter-persona-acting behind. Like, after seeing Swiss Army Man, I will never be able to downgrade his acting to Potter again. Like, he has taken on so many versatile roles over the years, that his filmography is starting to look like a craft store. There's all kinds of stuff there! So I'm like super excited to see this, because if he's already past Potter, I wonder how far he'll go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think he's been past Potter since Kill Your Darlings, personally. I've enjoyed watching his choices post Potter.

      Delete
  6. I actively disliked Daniel Radcliffe in the Harry Potter movies and Women in Black, but this does sound like an interesting and, sadly, a very timely premise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way about Emma Watson. Actively dislike her, but she's my Hermione so I have to suck it up lol.

      Delete
  7. Nice review! I really liked Radcliffe's performance but the movie as a whole, was just too by-the-numbers and failed to really leave a mark on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it was pretty safe, but I'm glad you like Radcliffe's performance!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum