Rambling TV: Thoughts on Veep, True Detective + more

Veep

In my bitching about Game of Thrones last week I forgot to talk about the Veep finale, which ended in a very interesting place.

Selina tied the election with her opponent, so now each state gets one vote, and if they tie again, the Vice President elect automatically becomes president. That's how I think it will go next season too. Tom will win, and Selina will be back in the Veep position. 

I did love Amy coming back to the Meyer camp, and Selina specifically running over to her when she got the bad news. Now all we need is Dan to be back in with the group.

True Detective

Season two premiered last night and it was very interesting. The episode was mostly build, getting to know the characters since they're not partners like Cohle and Marty were in season one. They all eventually came together at the end.

Colin Farrell's character also took his son's bullying into his own hands: By beating the shit out of said bully's father with brass knuckles then telling the kid "If you do this again I will come back here and butt fuck your father with your headless mother's corpse." Because that's totally the best way to handle this situation.

Taylor Kitsch didn't bother me as much as I thought he would, so that was a nice surprise.

And wtf David Morse is in this?

Orange is the New Black

I started season 3, and Piper, despite being the lead is still my least favorite character. I hated that reminder that she lied to both Red, AND Alex and neither know it yet. It's frustrating. That final scene with Poussey where she's thinking about her mother was beautiful and so sad. 

Comments

  1. I loved Veep this year. I have enjoyed every season of it, but this year was phenomenal. I should say finale was great but Testimony was hysterical. I agree that she will be back as Veep. Can't wait to hear "Sue, did the President call?" once again.

    I liked True Detective premiere. It was interesting, however hardly anything makes much sense yet. Farrell was great though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love Veep. I think it's the best comedy on TV right now. I wish it had longer episodes though. 30 mins goes by so quickly.

      Delete
  2. Massive fan of both TD and Orange Is the New Black.

    The new season of True Detective has a sense of characters walking towards impending doom. Each of the four main characters are hella interesting.

    I look forward to more discussion on OITNB. If you liked the opener, you are going to adore the rest of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad 12-year-olds don't watch True Detective. That sequence could serve as a cautionary tale.

    I really dug it. It's just missing McConaughey. Otherwise, the dark, Gothic storytelling was there. I'm in. Justin Lin did a good job as director here as well. I'm interested to see what he can pull off away from those Fast Furious spectacles.

    Veep lost its luster a bit for me over the past couple seasons. I loved the first season. I check out a lot watching it lately.

    My wife burned through the new Orange is the New Black in like two days. She loved it. It's another one that just doesn't fully work for me.

    Good post! I love that you're such a TV junkie. My wife and I hardly ever watch movies together, but we watch TV series at all times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with my husband. We watch all of our TV together, but we don't always get to see films together. He's actually what's holding me up on OITNB now.

      lol you're right about bullies. Maybe someone should snip that scene out and show it in every school.

      Delete
  4. Veep's finale was hilarious! Is that thing about VP becoming President true? It would be insane if something like this could happen in real life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. It is accurate (I honestly had no idea until I watched this) I can't even imagine the shit storm this would cause if it actually happened. lol

      Delete
  5. Ha, I was wondering if I should tune into True Detective this year b/c I dislike most of the actors, starting with Taylor and Colin. My husband says it's worth the watch so I may check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate Kitsch and I'm still watching. I'm assuming the writing will make him better.

      Delete
  6. Kitsch was definitely a huge surprise. My favorite performance was Vaughn's, he looks on at Ray with such pity and concern. It's great that the one character on the show who ISN'T a crumbling mess is the organized criminal.

    Piper is one of my favorite oitnb characters. She's a terrible person, yes, but she's interesting. Alex, however, is hella boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex is pretty boring, but I just can't get into Piper's character. I like the other inmates so much better.

      Delete
  7. I loved True Detective, and that scene you mentioned was nuts. I mean... damn. But it showed that Farrell's character isn't all together like we were led to believe. Dude is totally unhinged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so risky too. That will probably come back to bite him.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum