2015 Academy Awards: Who will win, who should win.


Here are my Oscar predictions. I also entered a contest at my local theater where the winner gets a free annual pass, so my need to get these right is even greater! Luckily I'll already have my alcohol ready for when I fail.

Best Picture
American Sniper
Birdman
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash
Who will win: Boyhood
Who should win: Anyone but Boyhood and American Sniper 
I kid, not really. Birdman should win, followed by Whiplash

Best Director
Alexandro G. Iñárritu - Birdman
Richard Linklater - Boyhood
Bennett Miller - Foxcatcher
Wes Anderson - The Grand Budapest Hotel
Morten Tyldum - The Imitation Game
Who will win: Richard Linklater
Who should win: Alexandro G. Iñárritu. 
Linklater will get awarded for being mediocre for twelve years in a row while everyone else who made a good film will get ignored.

Best Actor
Steve Carell - Foxcatcher
Bradley Cooper - American Sniper
Benedict Cumberbatch - The Imitation Game
Michael Keaton - Birdman
Eddie Redmayne - The Theory of Everything
Who will win: Eddie Redmayne
Who should win: Michael Keaton. 
I still think he has a bit of a chance, but I now see the Oscar going in Redmayne's direction

Best Actress
Marion Cotillard - Two Days One Night
Felicity Jones - The Theory of Everything
Julianne Moore - Still Alice
Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon - Wild
Who will win: Julianne Moore
Who should win: Rosamund Pike

Best Supporting Actor
Robert Duvall - The Judge
Ethan Hawke - Boyhood
Edward Norton - Birdman
Mark Ruffalo - Foxcatcher
J.K. Simmons - Whiplash
Who will and should win: J.K Simmons

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette - Boyhood
Laura Dern - Wild
Keira Knightley - The Imitation Game
Emma Stone - Birdman
Meryl Streep - Into the Woods
Who will win: Patricia Arquette
Who should win: Keira Knightley.

Mediocrity will triumph again.

Best Cinematography
Emmanuel Lubezki - Birdman
Robert Yeoman - The Grand Budapest Hotel
Lukasz Zal and Ryszard Lenczewski - Ida
Dick Pope - Mr. Turner
Roger Deakins - Unbroken
Who will and should win: Emmanuel Lubezki

Best Foreign Language Film
Ida
Leviathan
Tangerines
Timbuktu
Wild Tales
Who will win: Leviathan
Who should win: It's hard to judge, the only one I've seen here is Ida, and I'm just sure that probably shouldn't win.

Best Adapted Screenplay
American Sniper
The Imitation Game
Inherent Vice
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash
Who will win: The Theory of Everything
Who should win: Theory, I think deserves it. 
I liked Whiplash better, but it really shouldn't be in Adapted anyways.

Best Original Screenplay
Birdman
Boyhood
Foxcatcher
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Nightcrawler
Who will and should win:Birdman

Best Make Up and Hair Styling
Foxcatcher
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Guardians of the Galaxy
Who will win and should win: Foxcatcher.
Budapest could take the win here, but I think Foxcatcher has a stronger chance.

Best Original Score
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Interstellar
Mr. Turner
The Theory of Everything
Who will win: The Imitation game.
Who should win: All are worthy, though I haven't seen Mr. Turner. I feel like Desplat is overdue for a win. I think I may have filled out Grand Budapest on my theater ballot though.

Best Original Song
“Everything Is Awesome” from The Lego Movie
“Glory” from Selma
“Grateful” from Beyond the Lights
“I’m Not Gonna Miss You” from Glen Campbell…I’ll Be Me
“Lost Stars” from Begin Again
Who will win: Glory
Who should win: Lost Stars or Everything is Awesome

Best Animated Feature
Big Hero 6
The Boxtrolls
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Song of the Sea
The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Who will win: The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Who should win: How To Train Your Dragon 2.
I think HTTYD2 deserves to win, but for some reason, I can't actually see the Academy giving them the win. I think the two less popular ones, Princess and Song have a better chance. 

Best Documentary Short
Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1
Joanna
Our Curse
The Reaper
White Earth
Who will win: Crisis Hotline
Who should win: N/A haven't seen any.

Best Film Editing
American Sniper
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Who will and should win: Whiplash

Best Production Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Interstellar
Into the Woods
Mr. Turner
Who will and should win: The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Best Animated Short
The Bigger Picture
The Dam Keeper
Feast
Me and My Moulton
A Single Life
Who will win: Feast
Who should win: N/A haven't seen them.

Best Live Action Short
Aya
Boogaloo and Graham
Butter Lamp
Parvaneh
The Phone Call
Who will win: The Phone Call
Who should win: N/A haven't seen them.

Best Sound Editing
American Sniper
Birdman
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Interstellar
Unbroken
Who will and should win: Interstellar

Best Sound Mixing
American Sniper
Birdman
Interstellar
Unbroken
Whiplash
Who will win: Interstellar
Who should win: Whiplash

Best Visual Effects
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Guardians of the Galaxy
Interstellar
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Who will win: Interstellar
Who should win: Either that or Guardians. I'm undecided.

Best Documentary
Citizenfour
Finding Vivien Maier
Last Days of Vietnam
The Salt of the Earth
Virunga
Who will win: Citizenfour
Who should win: N/A because yet again, I haven't seen these.

Best Costume Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Inherent Vice
Into the Woods
Maleficent
Mr. Turner
Who will and should win: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Comments

  1. Some brave choices here. I can't make up my mind in Picture/Director category, Birdman won all guilds.

    The Theory of Everything for adapted? that's a surprise. I see it's BAFTA win as a victory of British film (and it was more British than The Imitation Game). Also The Imitation Game won WGA, so I'm pretty sure it matches. I also don't see Birdman winning original screenplay. It only got Globes, I guess.

    Anyways, let's hope the best wins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wrote this post before the WGA wins were announced, so Imitation could very well take it now. I think Birdman has a strong chance of winning, especially if they don't give it Best Picture.

      Delete
    2. That explains. Today I wraped up my thoughts on Oscar race and I think Whiplash can also win Adapted, even though it's not really an adaptation. They loved it.

      Delete
    3. I hope it takes Adapted, but ugh it isn't Adapted! That rule is so stupid..

      Delete
  2. Great choices, I'm also hoping for some wins for Birdman! We're just compiling our predictions now, super excited for Sunday!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too! Hopefully it's a good night and not a Boyhood sweep. lol

      Delete
  3. I see that you are a massive fan of Boyhood. It'll win. I'm almost positive that it will.

    Did you consider Eddie Redmayne's performance in Jupiter Ascending (which is bad) when picking who'd win best Actor? It might just sway things towards Keaton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing, I'm not sure if I really believe in "Norbitting" or not. They really should focus on the performance he's nominated for and not the shit that comes out after. I'd like to think the voters are smart enough to do that.

      Delete
  4. Great choices. Good luck with the contest. Think I might boycott the Best Animated Feature category since The LEGO Movie isn't in it. By boycott, I mean turn the channel when that award comes up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. I loved HTTYD2 more than Lego Movie, but it's such crap that it didn't even get nominated. There is absolutely no reason for it to be left out.

      Delete
  5. I actually liked Boyhood, but I'm still pissed that Interstellar wasn't even nominated when THAT is the movie that should be winning Best Picture. Under the Skin really should have been nominated as well but I also know the Academy could never handle the sheer HORROR of recognizing science fiction as a serious genre.

    Also, I still don't understand why American Sniper is even on the list. It was a good movie but it should be in the running for next year's awards since it didn't even come out in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't matter when a movie releases wide. It only matters, for Oscar contention, that a movie opens in L.A. before the New Year, which American Sniper did.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, what Kevin said. It hit those two markets in time before it's wide release, so unfortunately it's a contender.

      Under The Skin is way too out there for the Academy, but I agree, I would've rather seen Interstellar in the Best Picture race over Boyhood and American Sniper.

      Delete
  6. I like it. We're pretty close on a lot of these. I'm with you on the Redmayne push of late. He's really got the most "Wow!" performance of the year. But I still like Keaton and even Cooper better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still pissed about Gyllenhaal to be honest. What a tragedy that he wasn't nominated.

      Delete
  7. I still hope for Keaton. i just cannot deal that the world may be the place where Redmayne has an Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We shall see! I will post mine on Saturday, but we differ in a lot of places :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't surprise me.:) I should've edited my picks after the WGA's were announced, but I left them as is.

      Delete
  9. I was contemplating whether I should do this post or not, but I might do it later this week just for the fun of it, ahah. I am still holding out hope that Birdman and Keaton will win, but I haven't even seen Boyhood yet (that's how enthusiastic I am about that movie, ahah).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too, I really do think Birdman has a decent shot.

      Delete
  10. I think the race between Keaton and Redmayne is close, it can go to either actor. I'm still not for Moore winning the actress award though she will definitely get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw Still Alice this weekend and I am not for it either. Rosamund deserves it.

      Delete
  11. This Oscar race is so hard to predict! I'm going with Birdman for Best Picture and Best Director, but I have such doubts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice picks. I feel like this year's Oscar race is so unpredictable, especially compared to years past. But I'm holding out hope for Birdman to take best picture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder why Birdman isn't even nominated for Best Editing? I just watched this film and didn't realize how seamless it went. I hang my head low when Boyhood wins. I hope Keaton wins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought maybe the one take effect worked against it in the fact that there wasn't a lot of editing? Who knows.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum