Review: Iron Man 3

The rest of the Avengers must have been busy.
Yes, I know, from a cinematic standpoint it wouldn't be feasible to have ALL of the Avengers/S.H.I.E.L.D agents in every Marvel movie. But I kept thinking, after Tony Stark's house gets blown to bits, where the hell is everybody else? 
Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) is suffering from anxiety attacks and possible PTSD from the New York situation. It's taking a toll on his and Pepper's (Gwyneth Paltrow) relationship. Then a terrorist named The Mandarin (Ben Kingsley in full 'MURICA! mode) starts blowing things up and threatening lives. The military can't catch him. They send in Rhodes, (Don Cheadle) who's War Machine suite got upgraded to the more friendly "Iron Patriot." but still no avail. Then there is man called Aldrick Killian (Guy Pearce) who Tony is really going to regret blowing off 13 years ago.
The film went the Dark Knight Rises route and stripped Iron Man down until we just get Tony Stark. Robert Downey Jr. makes him real, vulnerable, but still keeps his edge. I hate to admit it, but many super heroes in movies are pretty one sided, Tony Stark is not and it's really all credited to how great of an actor RDJ is. I can't give enough praise to Kingsley and Pearce, they were fantastic here. Acting and Stark aside, the film had its problems. The biggest one being a little side story with the kid. (played by Ty Simpkins) They could've cast a better actor, I hate to say that about a child, but it's true. Everything about that arc was terrible and brings the entire film down in quality after it gets such a promising start. I think I was on a high immediately after seeing this, but with more thought, no. Iron Man 3 just isn't good, though I wanted it to be. 
Recommended: No
Grade: C-
Memorable Quote: "Dad's leave, no need to be a pussy about it." - Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.)

Comments

  1. I agree about the confusion - where the hell were Avengers? Because of the Avengers movie now whenever I see individual films I wonder about that. I didn't mind the kid but the third act of the movie was my biggest problem, it wasn't very imaginative and it was typical big and loud action movie third act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's a bit of an annoying distraction. Because realistically, only Thor would have a reason not to show up. Cap and Hulk aren't doing anything. S.H.I.E.L.D would have a reason to show. I realize they can't get those actors for every single movie, but I guess that's the downfall of having the Avengers while the other chapters are still going.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Annoying Kid. What a thankless job that is.

    I'm surprised that you liked the movie as much as you did, but also think that's a good thing. I went in wanting to love it and thought it was pretty average. Boo.

    Pepper's moment of ass-kickery was incredibly silly. I know it was supposed to be touching and badass, but c'mon. Shallow Hal's girlfriend's killing bitches? Really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh God, Shallow Hal! I'm surprised that I liked it too. I can't stand Gwyneth Paltrow, but I don't mind her Pepper.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum