Indie Gems: Driving Lessons

More than just the Weasleys.
 
Ben (Rupert Grint) is a shy awkward teenager and aspiring poet. His mother (Laura Linney) is a bit over-bearing and Ben really just needs a break. He begins to work for Evie (Julie Walters) a retired actress who takes him under her wing. They enjoy each other's company and Evie guides Ben through the troubles of being a teenager on the brink of adulthood. Eventually Ben gets enough nerve to get laid AND tell his long time crush to fuck off. Brilliant.
 
I guess I have a soft spot for "coming of age" stories. This one stood out to me because at the time, it was the only thing Rupert Grint had done besides Harry Potter. (aside from some terrible sounding kids movie called Thunderpants) This is also one of the rare occasions where I actually purchased a DVD before viewing it. (Because I could not find this ANYWHERE in the States when it first came out) Grint and Walters have awesome chemistry together and great comedic timing.
 
This isn't their best work, but it's a fun little film to watch, and was even more enjoyable upon a repeat viewing. I still think Grint is the strongest actor of the Potter kids, so I look forward to the new films he's got coming out this year. This one is a must see for any fan of his.
 
Grade: B-
 
Memorable Quote: "....Thanks for having me." - Ben (Rupert Grint)

Comments

  1. This is such a cute little movie - literally an indie gem, just like you say. I don't rank the Potter kids, I think they all have their special way of acting and they're all overly talented, but Rupert Grint is the one that has got least attention after the last Potter movie. So I'm excited for his new releases too!
    Btw did you get my email?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did now, THANK YOU! That was very kind of you to send that. :) I plan on checking it out as soon as I can.

      Delete
  2. I've wanted to watch this for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it. I really like Julie Waters and Laura Linney, and it would be fun to see Grint in a non-HP role.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this movie. The performances were great, and I'd love to see Grint do more roles like this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum